Thursday, April 17, 2008

D-Day....

So, after many many days of patiently (er... not so patiently) waiting, tomorrow is the big day! I find out whether or not Teach for America has accepted me! It also happens to be the day I fly home, for the first time in nearly 8 months. I figured I needed something else to look forward to, in case this TFA thing doesn't work out. At this point, it's out of my hands. I can't believe I've already waited 3 weeks... what's one more day going to do, right? At least after tomorrow, I can stop obsessing about the whole thing.

Moving on.

Here I sit, a college graduate who's about to begin her third year out of school. To date, I have done nothing significant with my life, which has been the goal all along. I've decided this is the year I change that. It's time to stop putting off graduate school for financial reasons, and start taking positive steps towards achieving the future I desire. I came across Teach for America the day before the final deadline, and applied instantly. I figured I could learn about the program and read all the details later. Since then, I have learned a ton about TFA, and it's everything I could ever want to do. I applied for the final cycle and had my final interview at the end of March. Now it's just a waiting game to see if I was accepted into a program that could change my life forever, and help me reach my goal of helping others in a MASSIVE way. Teach for America is in part all about policy: putting people in the right places to affect and change it. I am SUPER excited for the teaching part, of course. If accepted, I would love to enter the teaching world and probably stay for a number of years past the two year commitment they require. But the exposure to the realities of problems I've only read about would be AMAZING. We shall see...

To review for those who've been out of touch for awhile. I have a puppy, Sadie, and she is the cutest doggie in the world!! We've been together for over a year now, and while being a single mother to her is pretty tough, I wouldn't have it any other way :) She's darling, and is my life! I am a history major first, and political science major second. I'm an outdoors girl, through and through, though my current finances don't allow me to play too much these days! I am far from home and my family and that makes me pretty sad at times, but that's the downside to coming from a small town: you've gotta get away from it before it consumes you. I value friends, family, education, and action. I feel so grateful to have been given all the opportunities I've had in my life, and feel that I owe it to SOMEONE or SOMETHING to make something of myself. I refuse to waste the chances I've been given. So, let's start. Let's start a blog and actually have something, sort of, keeping me accountable for making something of myself. If I get into TFA, a new journey lies before me. But if I don't, I just know that I have a different path; a harder one, that I have to make for myself. Either way, I feel as if it all begins with one decision....

No comments: